Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? 10 suggestions for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never prior to have so numerous new methods and scientific advancements emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides countless individuals the opportunity to decrease or remove their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the pain-free and fast method to remedy vision, but stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will be happy with your results?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medication is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide study by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting recommendations from other medical professionals or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be fooled by expensive advertisements about a specific laser. Select the doctor, not the laser.
3. Pick a physician who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a medical professional doesn't understand can injure you.
4. Request for details on your doctor's LASIK eye surgical treatment issue rates. Find another one if your medical professional won't inform you. For top surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask what steps are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is completely sanitized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to get rid of the danger of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Be careful of ads pressing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgery is as good as a discount rate parachute. The prospective cost savings are not worth the danger of receiving less than skilled care! Website
Expect to see really well after LASIK, however don't expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as specific as each patient. Be careful of any medical professional who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you probably are. You're not buying a automobile; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably use much better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, don't lose sight of the advantages: for the majority of people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has improved the eyesight of countless individuals worldwide.